Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Christmas in Kilarney....not really, but in Dormont











So my first married Christmas. Awwwwww. David and I hosted dinner. I am proud to boast of our cheese plate, which David picked out. There was goat cheese with green and red herbs on it that was fabulous and when I asked my new husband if he got it because it was Christmas colored, he replied "No, I got it cause they had samples of it at the store." OK then.

We did the cliched Honeybaked Ham, which--no joke--is amazing how it's spiral sliced and all. Wish I woulda come up with the patent for that. Why people give credit to anyone who cooks a pre-cooked ham is beyond my comprehension, but yet, we did get compliments.

Also on the menu, all made from scratch: Zucchini casserole. Yams with bourbon and pecan sauce. That's right. Green beans with shallot vinaigrette. I blanched 2 lbs. of beans, and felt very Julia about doing so. My mom helped me with a salad --simple red leaf lettuce with her perfected oil to vinegar ratio--and minestra, which is a Greek orzo side dish.

For dessert, I made something I hadn't made since 8th grade French Club--the classique "Buche de Noel" which is French for Yule Log, which means it's supposed to look like a real log. Ours ended up looking like a cocoa-colored pumpkin roll, but whatever. It was tasty. It's not going to win any food photography contests, that's for sure.

After dinner, we had lottery scratch cards for everyone. Real classy, we know. And 5 out of the 8 of us won. David and I found ourselves in the loser category. We had a great day and I was very very happy and satisfied as a hostess. The day went by too quickly, but I did enjoy it and counted my blessings the entire time.

No comments: